This year Jessica Gerola, a Superior resident, has committed to walk 60 miles in the Susan G. Komen Tempe Arizona 3-Day along with thousands of other women and men who are walking to make a personal difference in the fight to end breast cancer.
Jessica has already embarked on a physical and emotional journey in preparing for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day®. Like other Komen 3-Day participants, she will spend months training for the event’s physical demands and fundraising at least $2,300 to help fund innovative breast cancer research, scientific programs and community outreach programs. All of the participants’ dedication and preparation culminates by walking 60 miles over the course of three days.
“You may be wondering why I am waking 60 miles and raising a minimum of $2,300 in donations. I am determined to meet this personal goal because of a very special person. My mother Maria D. Sestiaga (Mary Dee) lost her battle with breast cancer on July 25, 1995. I was just 6 years old at the time, I wouldn’t wish for anyone to have to lose a parent at such a young age. I always feel like something is missing in my life, so that is why this cause means so much to me. 60 miles is no easy task, but this is something I can do. Something I must do,” said Jessica. “I feel that with my dedication and your support, I can be part of the boldest movement to end breast cancer forever.”
The Susan G. Komen Tempe Arizona 3-Day is a place in the world where differences are embraced, bonds are formed, and every moment—from the opening ceremony on Friday morning, Nov. 8 to closing ceremony on Sunday afternoon, Nov. 11—is full of meaning, emotion and celebration. Walkers cover about 20 miles a day with hundreds of dedicated volunteers and crew members supporting the walkers through the 3-day journey.
The best way we can make a difference is to raise awareness – October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, so remember to wear your pink ribbons. People can also display a pink ribbon pumpkin as one of your fall decorations, Jessica is currently busy hand painting them and taking orders. Interested parties can find out more by emailing Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling her directly at 520-509-5950.
Each year, more than 200,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and nearly 2,000 cases are diagnosed in men in the U.S. To help Jessica reach her goal of a world without breast cancer, you can make a donation at the3day.org/ to make an online donation in an amount that works. Interested parties can also call 800-996-3DAY, or print off one of Jessica’s personalized donation forms from the website listed above and mail in a check. People can even spread credit card donation over monthly payments, and companies may even offer to match a donation through their Matching Gifts program. No donation is too big – or too small. All donations are tax deductible.
About the Susan G. Komen 3-Day®
The Susan G. Komen 3-Day® is a 60-mile walk for women and men who want to be a part of something bigger – ending breast cancer forever. Participants raise a minimum of $2,300 and walk an average of 20 miles a day for three consecutive days, educating tens of thousands of people about breast health and raising funds to help support breast cancer research and community outreach programs. With every step, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has helped make significant progress in the fight against breast cancer thanks to events like the Komen 3-Day. 75 percent of the net proceeds raised by the Susan G. Komen 3-Day help support Komen’s Research and Training Grant Program and large public health outreach programs for women and men facing breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent helps fund local community and affiliate support and outreach programs. Please visit the3day.org/ or call 800-996-3DAY for more information.
The 2013 3-Day® Series includes 14 events in San Francisco (June 21-23), Boston (July 26-28), Cleveland (Aug. 2-5), Chicago (Aug. 9-11), Michigan (Aug. 16-18), Twin Cities (Aug. 23-25), Seattle (Sept. 20-22), Philadelphia (Oct. 4-6), Washington, D.C. (Oct. 11-13), Atlanta (Oct. 18-20), Tampa Bay (Oct. 25-27), Dallas/Fort Worth (Nov. 1-3), Arizona (Nov. 8-10), San Diego (Nov. 15-17).
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. Today, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® works to end breast cancer in the U.S. and throughout the world through ground-breaking research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs in more than 30 countries. Visit komen.org/.